Understand how Santos took Lucas Pires from the Corinthians | soccer

Left-back Lucas Pires emerges as one of Santos’ key statements this season. The 21-year-old arrived in the starting line-up after becoming the second winner in the Copa São Paulo de Futebol Júnior to take a quick start, winning the dispute with Felipe Jonatan.

But the story of the player may be different. Until July last year, Lucas Pires was part of the Corinthians’ core categories. However, as the contract was about to expire, he decided to replace Parque São Jorge with Vila Belmiro.

Lucas Pires during Santos practice – Photo: Ivan Storti / Santos FC

Fernando Yamada, Corinthians’ general manager at the time, held three side-by-side meetings with his agents for an update between the end of 2020 and the beginning of 2021. But there was no agreement. Representatives of the athlete understood that there was no Lucas estimate within Timão.

This sentiment was passed, because in the open gap in the professional department, still with Vagner Mancini, there was a need for a left-back and named Guilherme Biro, born in 2004 – Pires is an athlete in 2001. The department was skeptical about Pires , returning from injuries.

It was at this point that Santos appeared as a means. According to former Peixe-based manager Felipe Gil, Lucas Pires was being monitored for a long time.

– He was an athlete whom the club was following along with the market analysis industry. He was an athlete who always attracted our attention to the core, for a long time, in all competitions. Market opportunities have arisen. We contacted his agent and talked about the possibility of him going to Santos – said the former manager from Santos, who is now the football director of Hercílio Luz, a club from Santa Catarina.

Lucas Pires Training for the Corinthians – Photo: Rodrigo Coca / Ag. Corinthians

By this time, Yamada had already left the Corinthians. Carlos Brazil had taken over the management of the basic categories. However, the departure of Lucas Pires was already on its way. Peixe and Timão, then, discussed the value of releasing the player before the end of the contract, which expired in September.

– We made an earlier agreement, because his contract was ending (in Corinthians). We had to leave a percentage (of economic rights) for the Corinthians, about 25%, to release the athlete before the end of the contract. We ended up bringing these conditions to the under-23 team, and possibly being in the profession, because we believed in his potential. The club soon after finishing with the under-23 youth team. He went for less than 20 years. He had this big campaign at the Copa São Paulo, where he, Lucas Barbosa and Rwan were thrown. It ended up working, ”explained Gil.

Lucas Pires was announced by Santos in July 2021. At the age of 20, the left-back signed a three-year contract, which lasted until July 2024. Peixe acquired 75% of those rights. The remaining 25% belongs to the opponent.

Sportv team discusses Santos' performance after victory over Coritiba in the Copa do Brasil

Sportv team discusses Santos’ performance after victory over Coritiba in the Copa do Brasil

From Cup to starting column

Adjustments were immediate. After the Copa São Paulo vice-presidential campaign in early 2022, Lucas Pires was promoted to the paid squad. After three matches entering the second half, he defeated Felipe Jonatan, took the starting position and did not leave.

With great skill and speed, the winger turned out to be a weapon for coach Fabián Bustos in the attacking field. There are five assists from the boy so far. In the 3-0 win over Coritiba, the fifth, for the Copa do Brasil, he gave a beautiful pass to Madson to score. Watch the video below:

Best Events: Santos 3 x 0 Coritiba for the third phase of the Copa do Brasil

Best Events: Santos 3 x 0 Coritiba for the third phase of the Copa do Brasil

Santos is now trying to predict the abuse of one of its top players. The club has already begun to move to try to extend its contract.

The ge Santos podcast is available on the following platforms:

  • 🎧 Globoplay – click here to listen!
  • 🎧 Spotify – click here to listen!
  • 🎧 Google Podcasts – click here to listen!
  • 🎧 Apple Podcasts – click here to listen!
  • 🎧 Pocket Actors – click here to listen!
  • ▶ ️ Tap play!

+ Click here and learn all about Santos

Leave a Comment