Even starting in a good position, Max Verstappen sweated in the final rounds of the Canadian Doctor to secure his sixth victory of the 2022 F1 season. The Dutchman from RBR defeated Carlos Sainz this Sunday, extending his lead in the tournament. Third, Lewis Hamilton overcame a bad start to the weekend and ended a seven-run drought off the pitch.
Despite promises, Fernando Alonso did not take second place on the grid and crossed the finish line in seventh place. He was overwhelmed by Charles Leclerc, who recovered well, from 20th to fifth place.
Max Verstappen Wins F1 Canada GP – Photo: Clive Rose / Getty Images
With three stations stimulated by Sergio Pérez, Mick Schumacher and Yuki Tsotaka, in rounds 9, 20 and 45, the leading positions were managed by proper pit stations. Verstappen stood on the first yellow flag and maintained leadership calmly until his second hole of the hole, in turn 43.
Sainz took the lead – he was later overtaken by his opponent in his tire change. The Spaniard, who was already narrowing the gap to his opponent in 3 seconds, accompanied the current champion as he exited the safety car in the final turns, but could not get close.
Hamilton, who started in fourth place, replaced the first tire with an RBR opponent and grabbed the last spot on the podium with the fall of Fernando Alonso, holding faster than George Russell and visiting the pits in due course.
Max Verstappen and Carlos Sainz shaking hands after Canadian Doctor – Photo: Clive Rose / Getty Images
The seven-time champion ends a seven-run drought off the podium since the Bahrain GP 2022. The last time he went long without finishing in the top 3 was 2013, in eight rounds.
The two-time Alpine champion, who started in the front row, remained in the top four in his first season but dropped out after his first tire changed in the 26th round.
Leclerc started in 20th place after changing all the components of his power unit, making a good series of 41 cycles and compounds and getting into the top 10 and staying there, despite leaving a few spaces on his hole station. In the end, he won the bout with Alonso of Alpine and Esteban Ocon.
Lewis Hamilton on the Canadian GP podium; in third place, Briton broke the pace from seven races out of the top 3 – Photo: Dan Istitene – Formula 1 / Formula 1 via Getty Images
Lance Stroll started in 16th place and crossed the finish line in tenth place, scoring at home. On the other hand, a bad day for McLaren: the England team missed out on Daniel Ricciardo pit pit and Lando Norris, who was 36s6 in the pit, and did not score.
The tenth stage of the 2022 Formula 1 season will be the British Grand Prix at the Silverstone Circuit on July 3rd.
- See calendar F1 2022
F1 results for Canadian GP – Photo: F1
Verstappen took his 26th career victory and his sixth in the 2022 F1 season. With that victory, she surpasses Niki Lauda and Jim Clark and becomes the ninth largest winner in the history of the unit.
The Dutchman scores 175 points and continues his lead over second-placed Pérez from 21 to 46 points. RBR, despite scoring the only goal with the champion, goes up to 304 points. of 80 by four points, in second place.
- Check out the updated league position
Verstappen continued to lead calmly while Alonso, who was left behind, defended himself against Sainz’s attacks. Mangussen joined Hamilton – the two have already clashed initially in Spain; but despite the attempt, the Danish could not overtake the opponent and still suffered damage to his back wing.
F1 Canada GP start – Photos: Dan Istitene – Formula 1 / Formula 1 via Getty Images
In sixth place, Mick Schumacher was passed by Esteban Ocon and George Russell and dropped to eighth place. Behind the grid, Charles Leclerc got third place and was 17th. In the next turn, the race leader opened 2 of the advantages for Alonso who, in the 3rd round, was overtaken by his compatriot from Ferrari.
1. Sainz overtakes Alonso on lap 3, in a straight line, and takes second place in the race.
2. As the gap between the top executives widened, Sergio Pérez retired and lost power in the RBR engine at round 9. He stopped the car at the age of 13, causing a yellow flag and a safety car.
3. Verstappen and Hamilton took the opportunity to change tires on one thigh. They both replaced medium and hard tires; The Dutchman returned to the third fight with his opponent in sixth place. Sainz is the new leader of the race.
4. The seven-time champion continues to look to regain lost chances and overtake Ocon in the 12th round, taking fifth place for the Frenchman. Near the back, Leclerc had already secured six places and appeared in 13th place, before passing Lando Norris.
5. Verstappen overtakes Alonso in the 15th round and takes the lead, with Hamilton following in fifth place, 2 seconds from Russell. Near the back, Leclerc continues to push the Bottas to 11th place; in turn 19, the two pass Albon; Finns and Monegasque get one chance each, forward.
6. After overtaking Zhou and losing seventh place, Mick Schumacher also stops his troubled car and turns on the safety car on lap 20. Russell takes the opportunity of the yellow flag and goes to the pit, as do Sainz and most of the team . central grid.
With that, Verstappen regains leadership, in front of Alonso; The Ferrari Spaniard returned to the song in its original starting position. George returns behind Hamilton in fifth place. Leclerc appeared in seventh place after passing the Bottas, still without making his first tire change.
7. In the 23rd round, Sainz easily overtakes Alonso and regains second place in the race. Later, it was Hamilton’s turn to overtake the champion twice and enter the podium, with his back wing exposed.
8. When Verstappen opened more than 8 seconds for Sainz, who made a few quick turns on the raw tire, Alonso finally visited the holes on the 29th lap and replaced his average tires with harder tires. The two-time champion returns to the ranks in seventh place behind Leclerc, who is still unsettled.
9. Sainz managed to reduce at least 3 seconds from loss to Verstappen in the last ten rounds. The reigning F1 champion, with the most complex compounds worn, even complained about the lack of a grip. In the 42nd round, the Dutchman from RBR was in front, with the Spaniard from Ferrari behind and Hamilton in third.
10. In the 43rd round, Ferrari finally called Leclerc, in sixth place, into the pits; Monegasque replaces its hard tires with two medium pairs. In the next round, leader Verstappen visits the pits again to install new hard tires and is overtaken by Hamilton as he exits the pothole. He returns in third place.
11. In round 45, Hamilton also stops and replaces hard tires with two new pairs. Russell follows closely behind his Mercedes counterpart; for this, those positions return to their previous positions, with the seven-time champion holding third place and his teammate holding fourth place.
12. Tsunes named the third winner of the race yellow on lap 49, hitting 2nd turn as he left the pit after his tire changed. This time, a safety car on the track; leader Sainz took the opportunity to change the hard tire and drop to second place, with Verstappen taking the lead.
Alonso, who had made 21 rounds on hard tires, returned to the pit center and took sixth place.
13. The safety car left the road on the 55th round. Despite the top ten approaching the safety car, all positions were maintained at the turn on, with Verstappen leading the field inside Sainz’s 0s1.
14. Leclerc managed to overtake Alonso in the 58th round and, two rounds later, advanced to fifth place over Ocon. Monegasque ended up passing straight after crossing and even losing a new winning position to an Alpine rival, but managed to regain fifth place.
In the front, Sainz followed Verstappen’s side, but he could not overtake the opponent even with an open back.