After two years of ready, Brazil will as soon as once more host the World Tour stage. If it isn’t included in the WSL (World Browse League) calendar in the final two seasons as a result of of the brand new coronavirus epidemic, the nation will return to Tour beginning this Thursday, when Rio Pro kicks off. As has been the case since 2017, the competitors will probably be held in Saquarema, Lagos Region, with the principle stage in Praia de Itaúna, an space referred to as “Maracanã do Surfe” as a result of of the standard of the wave.
Filipe Toledo, Saquarema champion 2019 – Photo: WSL
The first name will happen at 7 a.m. this Thursday with Olympic champion Italo Ferreira in the primary warmth. Rio Pro will probably be proven stay on sportv3, on ge.globo, with real-time monitoring on ge.
– Returning to compete in Brazil is superb, not solely as a result of of the great vibes right here but in addition as a result of we’re in our personal nation, we communicate our language and eat our meals. Today at breakfast I beloved our meals, I ate couscous, even I used to be too heavy to compete, as I used to be too skinny (laughs). There was nonetheless time to spend two days at residence to complement the cost. I’ve by no means been as comfy as I’m now, however I have to get pleasure from my leisure time at residence – mentioned Italo, at present 4th in the place.
Rio Pro is the eighth stage of the 2022 World Tour. It can also be the third to final occasion earlier than the WSL Finals, a contest that brings collectively the highest 5 gamers of this season who will outline this yr’s world champion. In addition to Italo, Brazil has Filipe Toledo in the highest 5. Filipinho, by the best way, is the title chief and winner of the final two variations of Rio Pro.
Gabriel Medina, Tatiana Weston-Webb, Italo Ferreira and João Chianca on the Rio Pro press convention – Photo: Flávio Dilascio
– The crowd may be very fearful in regards to the begin of the occasion. It has been two years since Saquarema arrived. The seaside will certainly be crowded, it is going to be one of the largest occasions this yr and I can assure it is going to be superb – commented Filipinho, who participated in a donor social occasion this Wednesday afternoon, accumulating rubbish from Itaúna. .
Looking for an actual “miracle” in the three levels earlier than the WSL Finals enter G5, Gabriel Medina is in search of an excellent end result for Saquarema to remain alive this season. Despite the tough state of affairs resulting from his absence from the primary 5 occasions of the yr, the three-time world champion doesn’t see any strain.
– I’m pleased to compete once more, I took two semi-finals and what I would like now could be to slip and revel in my time in the water. I had no rhythm and my technique was to get into the water to do what I might – in abstract Gabriel.
Italo Ferreira needs to remain in G5 – Photo: Matt Dunbar / World Surf League
Tatiana is the attraction in the vagina
In the case of ladies, the main focus is on Tatiana Weston-Webb. The solely Brazilian in the elite, gaúcha is ninth in the listing and wishes to attain nicely to enter the G5. Tati will play for the primary time in the 2nd warmth in opposition to Carissa Moore of Hawaii and Sol Aguirre of Peru.
– The power I acquire after I compete in Brazil is unbelievable and makes me really feel sturdy. I’m ninth in the rankings, for me that isn’t one of the best, however I do know I’ve an excellent likelihood of reaching the highest 5 and going to the finals. But I’m inspired to slip proper into Saquarema, to benefit from the water and get what I want – commented Weston-Webb.
The Rio Pro window will run till the thirtieth, subsequent Thursday. Organizers count on the occasion to happen on Tuesday. In addition to Itaúna, WSL launched various measures at a spot referred to as Barrinha. This is the twelfth time the World Round Stage has taken place in the state of Rio, the fourth in a row in Saquarema.
Tatiana Weston-Webb on a Bell Beach tour – Photo: Kelly Cestari / WSL
1. Italo Ferreira (BRA) x Matthew McGillivray (AFS) x Joao Chianca (BRA)
2. Griffin Colpinto (USA) x Jake Marshall (USA) x Michael Rodrigues (BRA)
3. Jack Robinson (AUS) x Samuel Pupo (BRA) x Mateus Herdy (BRA)
4. Filipe Toledo (BRA) x Nat Young (United States) x Miguel Tudela (PER)
5. Kanoa Igarashi (JAP) x Kolohe Andrino (USA) x Yago Dora (BRA)
6. Ethan Ewing (AUS) x Connor O’Leary (AUS) x Gabriel Madina (BRA)
7. Callum Robson (AUS) x Jordy Smith (AFS) x Jackson Baker (AUS)
8. Miguel Pupo (BRA) x Caio Ibelli (BRA) x Jadson André (BRA)
1. Brisa Hennessy (CRC) x Lakey Peterson (United States) x Gabriela Bryan (HAV)
2. Carissa Moore (HAV) x Tatiana Weston-Webb (BRA) x Sol Aguirre (PER)
3. Johanne Defay (FRA) x Courtney Colongue (USA) x Caroline Marks (USA)
4. Stephanie Gilmore (AUS) x Isabella Nichols (AUS) x Sally Fitzgibbons (AUS)